Castello Sforzesco in the morning.
Sforza Castle (Italian: Castello Sforzesco) It was built in the 15th century by Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan, on the remains of a 14th-century fortification. Later renovated and enlarged, in the 16th and 17th centuries it was one of the largest citadels in Europe. Extensively rebuilt by Luca Beltrami in 1891–1905.
Tour in the afternoon
DaVinci’s Last Supper The Last Supper is a late 15th-century mural painting by Leonardo da Vinci housed by the refectory of the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan.
What we learnttoday- a great deal! Excellent tour and guide- warm and beautiful weather
• Leonardo da Vinci – totally amazing, lived in Milan for 20 years – Milanese own him! Milan went to war with France and Leo ended up in France and died there at Amboise.
• Last Supper- beautiful, reflects the Renaissance attitude, shows his interest in human body , perspective in monastery in room where monks had breakfast/ limited numbers at any time
• Milanese history fascinating – the site of Milan has been settled for 2500 years – once surrounded by canals and water which came from the lakes. Also Milan occupied by the Hapsburgs as well as French and Napoleon who crowned himself king of Italy in Duomo
• La Scala theatre- six levels of boxes- ballet practice was going on – mainly used for opera and ballet/ interesting collection of artifacts in museum
• Duomo – huge , pale marble , started 600 years back but only finished a 100 years ago . In beautiful square with Galleria Emmanuel going off to one side – cultural and tourist center- tough security with police and army
• Castello Sforzesco – huge and impressive – clearly built for defense You enter by iron gates across moat now grassed. Family Sforza were major owners ( Ducale or prince of Milan) and powerful family. Interesting history
• Milan was powerful city from Roman times when it was capital of western Roman Empire and has remained a major political centre
Out to a very ordinary restaurant for a pizza and salad. Food was ok but…. salmon pizza lacked salmon and was dominated by the tomato sauce, Caesar was average. Wine expensive and the water didn’t come till halfway through the meal.